The following training sessions are available from the Youth Voices in Community Action and Governance Work Team. Contact Matt Calvert for more information.
1. Youth/Adult Partnership Train the Trainer Training based on the Innovation Center Youth/Adult Partnership curriculum was offered in 2005 in the Northern and Eastern Districts, and is available for other districts.
2. 4-H Board and Committee Youth/Adult Assessment and Training A Central District team created a year-long process in 2005 to improve the quality of youth/adult partnership in 4-H leader boards. Ten counties participated, beginning with a self-assessment in each county, continuing with a training session for 15 youth and 10 adult volunteer committee members, and continuing with county-based activities, discussions and reflection. A team is writing an evaluative paper.
4-H Foundation funds are available in 2005-6 for training 4-H boards and committees on youth/adult partnership. To date, no districts or counties have scheduled training.
3. Public Adventures and Project Citizen Training sessions for either curriculum can be scheduled.
4. Youth and Adult Leaders for Program Excellence Training sessions were conducted at the 2005 Program Area Conference and Central District. YALPE notebooks are available for UW-Extension staff and trainers can introduce staff, volunteers, and youth to self-assessment tools (includes the Program and Activity Assessment Tool and Youth Engagement Tool.)
5. Animal Science Symposium The Issues in Agriculture work team is planning a leadership development institute for animal science project youth aged 15+ scheduled July 7-9 at
UW-Platteville. They will pilot a training session focused on becoming involved in decision-making and community leadership. Issue content might include land use, animal production issues, as well as becoming more involved in program committees back in counties. Trainers are needed.
Youth in Governance Resource Grid (3 pgs, 64 KB): UW-Extension County and State Offices have many resources available to support the planning, implementation and evaluation of Youth in Governance programs. This document lists many of the training and curriculum resources and contacts for obtaining more information about them.